Healthy joints include the structure, function and integrity of tendons, ligaments, cartilage, bone and joint fluid. When these components are healthy and functioning well, our joints move without any friction, stiffness or discomfort.
Most people experience joint pain to varying degrees at some point in their lives. This is completely normal considering the everyday wear and tear that we put our joints, yet when this pain becomes persistent, it can start to really affect our quality of life.
In addition to a nutritious diet, natural health products can be used to support healthy and comfortable joints. There are a range of nutrients that can assist in maintaining healthy inflammatory pathways as well as support the body’s natural healing process within the joints. Some nutrients include:
- Glucosamine – nourishes joints and supports healthy cartilage
- MSM – provides support for joint maintenance and repair
- Chondroitin – a natural building block for healthy joint catilage
- Collagen – provides support to help cushion and lubricate joint and maintain structural support
- Hyaluronic acid – supports the health and hydration of connective tissue to support joint lubrication
- Fish oil – rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Scientific studies show that omegas can play and effective role with the healthy inflammation pathways.
- Turmeric, ginger and boswellia – well-known for their ability to assist with healthy inflammatory pathways and providing comfort and ease within the joints.
- Green lipped mussel – supports healthy joint cartilage, mobility and flexibility
Joint health may also be compromised due to elevated levels of uric acid in the blood. Plenty of rest, weight management, a healthy diet high in nutrients and supplementation can aid in the management of healthy uric acid levels. Increasing foods such as beans, legumes, nuts and seeds, celery, ginger and whole grains may reduce levels of uric acid and help with flexible joints. Tart Cherry, ginger and celery are common herbs that used to support healthy inflammatory pathways, increased circulation, kidney function and balanced uric acid levels, assisting in joint mobility and comfort.
Carpel tunnel nerves that run down the arm into the hand may at times, need additional support. Plenty of rest, daily strengthening exercises, stretching and massage and a healthy diet can be very helpful in supporting hand and wrist health. Additional supplements such as omega 3’s, ginger, vitamin B6 and magnesium (oral or applying to the general area) can support the healthy repair of nerves and tissue within the hand and arms, providing comfort and ease.
As a general recommendation for healthy joints, eating a diet rich in nutrients can be extremely supportive while also managing a healthy weight. Rainbow coloured vegetables and fruit, green leafy vegetables and essential fatty acids such as olive oil, oily fish, avocado, nuts and seeds are tremendously helpful when promoting and strengthening all joints throughout the body. You’ll be bouncing through life in no time!