The word comes from the Greek, literally meaning “to bend the mind”. While it may sound just a bit drastic to “bend the mind”, there are certainly many available nutrient options to assist healthy and strong brain function.
Life is just so much easier if we feel “spot on” and efficient. Healthy brain and nervous system function makes it possible for us to stay on top of things and conduct ourselves everyday productively. This involves how we pay attention and process information, apply what we have learned as well as good memory function and being creative and motivated.
The influence of nootropics in the brain has been studied widely. Nootropics support healthy brain performance through various mechanisms. These could include balancing processes including enzyme activity, nerve cell activities, nerve repair and growth or neurotransmitter transport.
Considering the demands of our busy lives and the many factors that can affect brain health and mental clarity, it is great to know that research has found several natural and herbal nootropics which can assist in keeping our brain performance sharp, such as:
- L-Theanine – supports nerve cell health, attention span and balanced mood
- L-Tyrosine – an amino acid that is a precursor to dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline, supports healthy cognitive function
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine – supports healthy nerve cells and cognitive function as well as balanced mood
- Bacopa monnieri – a well-known ayurvedic herb, supports good memory and cognitive performance
- Rhodiola rosea – assists memory and learning and supports healthy nervous system cells
- Lion’s Mane – this is a functional mushroom that supports normal nerve growth and balanced neurotransmitter function
- Chaga – also a functional mushroom that supports normal cognitive performance and learning
- Cordyceps – a functional mushroom that assists healthy learning and memory
- Ginkgo biloba – supports healthy nerve cells through the ageing process and assists cognitive function